Sunday, April 19, 2009

Down or Synthetic? Choosing the right Sleeping Bag

·

Author: Frank McGoldrick

Sometimes it's tough having too many choices. For example, when I first started shopping for a new sleeping bag I was overwhelmed by the selection and styles that were available.   There were warm weather, cold weather, ultra-light, down, synthetic, mummy and rectangular sleeping bags.  So I went online and did a little research to learn everything I could about each style.  After some analysis I was able to choose a sleeping bag that made sense for my needs.  To save you some time, I have written down a few tips that helped me make my decision.

To begin, you will see sleeping bags broken into two groups, down and synthetic.  The biggest advantage for down sleeping bags is that they are typically very light and goose down is an excellent insulator.  The biggest problem with a down sleeping bag is that if they get wet, it will take forever to dry and the goose down will lose its insulating benefits.  On the flip side, synthetic sleeping bags can get wet because they can dry quickly.  In addition, synthetic sleeping bags are typically less expensive than down sleeping bags. The only real problem with synthetic sleeping bags is that they will be typically heavier than a down sleeping bag.

In my case, the right choice was a down sleeping bag.   We typically hike to our campsite and weight was one of the most important factors in making my choice.  I wanted to keep the overall weight of my backpack as light as possible so I started my search for ultra-light sleeping bags.  I eventually found a great "mummy" style sleeping bag that only weighed a little over 2 pounds.  One footnote, "mummy" style sleeping bags can make you feel a little claustrophobic. They are tapered and can be a little snug.  It was a little strange for me at first, but I got used to it.  You may want to keep this in mind if you have issues with close quarters. If this is an issue with you, consider looking for a rectangular sleeping bag.  It will probably be a little heavier than a "mummy" style sleeping bag, but it will give you more room to move around.

Also, make sure you find out the temperature rating of the sleeping bag.  Generally, sleeping bags are rated as: 3-Season (+10 degrees to +32 degrees), winter (-10 and below), summer (+32 and higher) and cold weather (+10  to -10).  And remember, it makes sense to choose a bag that is rated a little bit lower than you will need.  A lower rated sleeping bag will keep you warm if the temperature really drops down on a cold night. Plus, you can always unzip the bag if you need to cool off.  The down sleeping bag that I chose was rated for three seasons.  We usually camp during the spring and summer so I didn't need to spend the extra money on a sleeping bag rated for the winter or the cold weather.

My last point is to check the length of the sleeping bag.  This is especially important to those of us who are a little taller and need more room.  Plus, by checking the length you will make sure your sleeping bag will fit in your camping tent. The last thing you want is to get a sleeping bag that is longer than the length of your tent.

Again, just take the time to do some research before you buy your sleeping bag.  There are a tremendous number of sleeping bag brands and styles. You can start looking at your local outdoor store, but you might save some time by shopping online first. It will take you less time and you should be able to save some money as well.   I hope this article can help you on your sleeping bag purchase.   See you around the campsite!

0 comments:

Get Chitika Premium

TRAVELER

Traveler Ads

Mybloglog Visitor

 

CARA PASANG INI